The Barren Trail is a desert area, accessible through a route in Northern Northam. It is most appropriate for player levels 8–9. Quest-givers and other people from several factions can be found here, as well as an entrance to the group instance The Boondocks.
The story quests of the area begin with "Under Construction", a level 9 quest learned from the Bulletin Board. The quests of the area are in the Uninvited Guest questbook. The area has a level requirement of 8.
- In Northam, close to the Barren Trail entrance, stands Worker Hawkins (quests:  Under Construction, and  Expanding The Nation). Nearby is a Bulletin Board and The Barren Trail Dragon Handler.
- Stonemasons Camp — a camp of Royal Stonemasons
- Supervisor Willis (quests  Expanding The Nation, We Built This Road, The Hidden Danger, Hunting A Legend)
- Yuyania (quest  Something To Prove)
- Stonemason Samantha (quest  A Bridge Too Far)
- Combat Trainer
- Travelling Merchant, sells level 10 rare gear for Barren Relics
- Stonemason Sentola, does item repairs and sells some level 6–10 equipment for all classes
- Royal Stonemason Merchant, sells potions, buys and repairs items
- Barren Trail Resurrection Point — near the Stonemasons Camp
- Priestess Auli (quest:  Barren Trail Resurrection)
- Workers Camp — a camp of Royal Stonemasons under attack by Juvenile Calgorns
- Foreman Haril (quest  We Built This Road)
- Mystic Camp — a camp of Azraq Mystics
- Hunters Camp — a camp of Hunters Guild members
- Tracker Eaglesight (quest  The Hidden Danger)
- Flyer Den — the Luminous Flyer resides here.
- Boondocks Resurrection Point
- Eldevin Kingdom (West) — in the South-West corner of the area.
- The Boondocks — a level 10 group instance, the entrance can be found near the end of the Eastern half of The Barren Trail.
- Azraq Desert — found after crossing the Weak Bridge in the Northern area.